Monday 12 August 2013

Paper Mache Easter Egg Surprises

So, I decided that instead of buying Easter eggs for the kids this year, I would make them something fun and personalise them. And what is more fun than paper Mache (fun for me anyway!)

I decided the easiest way to make the paste was with PVA Glue mixed with water. I used small balloons and did 2 or 3 layers of paper Mache allowing to dry fully between layers. I used one of those hanging things with pegs on, usually for drying socks and underwear, lol and hung the balloons near the radiator.

Then when dry I painted them different colours and decorated them in various styles. I then painted a layer of PVA glue all over and allowed to dry. This works like a varnish to give a nice shiny finish.

I then cut the eggs in half using a Stanley knife blade. I painted a layer of glue on the inside and lined with tissue paper.

The final part was to glue a thin ribbon round the outside to hold the egg together. Added a pretty name tag to the ribbon and then once it was all dry: filled it with Easter treats and tied it closed with the ribbon.

I think they look quite good for a first attempt. I haven't done paper Mache for years!

No comments:

Post a Comment